First Presbyterian is the oldest continuous congregation still in existence in Hopkinsville today. The first church building was erected in 1820 but was replaced in 1849 with the present church building. Additions to the church were built in 1898, 1917 and 1961. The church was used as a hospital during an epidemic that swept through a camp of Confederate soldiers led by Col. Nathan Bedford Forrest in the winter of 1861–62. The stained glass windows were installed in 1914.